The department is a lively community that is recognised internationally as one of the top centres for research and teaching in development studies.
Gary Jones wins OU Student Union award for Best Support Staff
We are delighted to announce that our caretaker Gary Jones has won an award for Best Support Staff in the 2017 Oxford University Student Union awards.
Gary received a record 67 nominations for the prize.
The OUSU awards, which are entirely student-led, aim to recognise great teaching and teaching support at Oxford and to help engage students more effectively in their academic experience.
All the nominations come from students – this year there were 895 nominations in total.
The criteria for Best Support Staff are:
- Ability to go beyond the requirements of the job by providing a wide range of support such as academic, pastoral, administrative and career support
- The support offered acts as a motivation and an inspiration towards the student
- Personality attributes help heighten the positive effect of practical advice being offered to students
- Excellent understanding of the needs students have when seeking out a member of support staff
- Available to assist students wherever possible
The awards were presented at a special ceremony at Oxford Town Hall on 11 May.
Gary was one of four members of staff at the department nominated for five awards.
Diego Sánchez-Ancochea, Associate Professor of the Political Economy of Latin America, was nominated in both the Outstanding Graduate Supervisor and Outstanding Pastoral Support categories. Diego teaches on the MPhil in Development Studies at ODID as well as supervising doctoral students.
Tristen Naylor, Departmental Lecturer in Diplomatic Studies, was nominated in the Most Acclaimed Lecturer in the Social Sciences category. Tristen teaches on the MSc in Global Governance and Diplomacy and was winner of the award in 2016.
DPhil student Simukai Chigudu was nominated in the Best Postgraduate Teacher category. This was a new category for 2017 and recognises those who provide outstanding teaching as well as conducting research of the highest quality for their own qualifications.