The department is a lively community that is recognised internationally as one of the top centres for research and teaching in development studies.
***The safety of our staff, students, and visitors is of paramount importance to the department. Therefore, in order to safeguard members of the department against the continuation of the COVID-19 pandemic, ODID is limiting its Visiting Fellow and Student Visitor programme. Visitors will only be permitted on an exceptional basis, which will be based on the strategic significance to the department of the visit taking place. This information will be updated when the department’s position on this issue changes.***
We welcome applications from scholars from abroad or from elsewhere in the UK who wish to pursue research at Oxford in the area of development studies.Research proposals should fall broadly within one of the research areas covered by the department; see our Research pages for more information.
Visiting Fellows and Scholars work on their own research projects, but are expected to attend and participate in the wide variety of lectures and seminars available in the University. There are also flourishing Visiting Fellowship programmes at the Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative, the Refugee Studies Centre and the Technology and Management Centre for Development.
Visiting Fellows and Scholars are externally funded or self-funded. We encourage applicants to seek funding from agencies and institutions in their own countries, as well as from the British Council, the Ford Foundation, DFID and other grant-making bodies.
If you have any questions, please contact the relevant focal point:
- The central department (ie, not one of ODID’s research centres): Josielyn Inaldo - email@example.com
- The Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (https://ophi.org.uk/): firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Refugee Studies Centre (https://www.rsc.ox.ac.uk/study/visiting-fellowships): Annelies Lawson - email@example.com
- The Technology and Management Centre for Development (https://www.oxfordtmcd.org/): firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: TMCD will not be accepting any new visitors until 2023.
- Young Lives (https://www.younglives.org.uk/): Rachel Bevan - email@example.com